Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Six File for G. R. Township Board

Today is the deadline for filing for candidacy for the August 7 primary.

Besides the four existing trustees who want to continue in office, there are two challengers: I am one of them.

The other is Lindsey Koorndyk.  I don’t know much about Ms. Koorndyk.  She is 24 years old, a recent graduate of Michigan State, and engaged to be married four days after the election.  She comes from a political family; her father Dan Koorndyk is a Kent County Commissioner.  I do think running for township office is a great idea for someone like her, perhaps interested in a political career.  Running for the township board is relatively easy (it takes only 20 signatures to get on the ballot).  It can easily lead to other offices.  Current county commissioner Jim Saalfeld started out on the G.R. Township Board, for example.  I think former Congressman Vern Ehlers began as a county commissioner.

I’ll want to see what Ms. Koorndyk proposes to do if elected, but I will be inclined to support her if she has good ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment